Monday, September 1, 2008

Harvest time

I know the summer has gone quickly as I look out the window and realize that in Logan tonight, there is a chance of freezing. It is the first of September, and possible frost. That bites! Where did the summer go? Raelyn and Val Jay are returning from their annual fall weekend away with the girls and they had a marvelous time all dressed in their western/pioneer gear, and Amanda is starting her new job as a teacher of P.E. and dance, and I am looking at finding jobs for Rob to do before the weather turns snowy, and the Rigbys will be working day and night now to get the rest of the hay and grain in before winter are all signs that the summer is over.
The times in our lives when we are busy, we don't notice how fast time is flying. Actually, I remember wondering some days when all the kids were small, if time even passed as each day seemed so long.
Well, I have gone through the spring, summer and fall of my life I think. The seasons are
CHANGING FAST IN LIFE as well as in each year of living. I am not certain that I did all the things that we should do in the proper times, but darn, there were some great years and some great learning experiences.
This weekend we are having a cousins get together. At first I struggled with the idea, but then it was announced that it would be my immediate cousins. Now you are talking. When you look at the Zollinger family and you invite all the uncles, aunts, and "cousins", we are talking a zillion people at least. That family multiplied faster and better than a bunch of rabbits. However, just hanging with my immediate family will be wonderful. I am making Moms doughnuts, spudnuts is the correct name, and Ron has some apple cider he froze from last year to serve and we are having a diner party, visit.
It was my Uncle Sam Dallas Zollingers funeral this weekend and meeting with the few relatives that were there was a delight. It reinforced to me the importance of family and confirmed my previous teaching to others that having and being close to family is the most important work we will do on this earth. That is especially important when you add the element of including gospel teachings with it. Now Uncle Sam only had two daughters, Patsy and Annette. Annette married later in life as I remember, but there was a large posterity there to say farewell to the earthly remains of an awesome Grandpa and father. As Steve and I visited with others we realized that when Uncle Chet, Aunt Mary and Aunt Margaret pass away, we cousins will be the "older" generation. How in the heck did that happen. We talked about the frail health of the three, and that we probably will be meeting at the cemetery three times this next year. Again a reminder that time is flying faster and faster.
Let this note be a reminder to all that you have one day when you wake up in the morning that you are guaranteed in life, make the most of it and enjoy each moment!

trevor aldber WAS HERE (he wanted to type along with Grandma so go for it Trevor)

2 comments:

Jake said...

It is getting cold, we spent the day outside trying to frame a garage and it felt like Fall... I love this time of year!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy this time of year. Weird thing is, it's still in the upper 90's here. Weird.
Janet, I appreciate your wisdom in the words you just wrote of the fact that family is the most important thing we'll have here on this life. It's amazing how much we take for granted. I love you, even though we aren't blood related, you still are family.