Friday, September 26, 2008

Deep thought (Again)

I have been deep thinking again.
I have a new friend named Cindy. She is having a rough time with life right now. Short on the obstacles she has that I know of are a clot over one of the main arteries by her heart, pancreatitis and unable to eat anything but liquids that are prescription food substitues and water or a pop, and no children, parents dead, no husband and so ill......Now, how much better does my life feel. Much.
Anyway, back to the story of my deep thinking, when I visit with Raelyn and Marci, both their families are so busy, growing and involved in many activities, and they are stuggling to accomplish all that they are required to do. Life keeps giving hurdles for them to jump just to keep their day going. Each of the children have good and bad days, as do their husbands, and then they have a bad day as well. Money doesn't go as far, school activities, church, family prayer, home evening, cooking, cleaning, being a friend, relative, lover, and on and on. You throw all that together in a world like ours and you will find stress. I mean, STRESS. It makes days long, and sometimes I remember living like that as well.
At the middle of the stressful day, I can remember wondering will this day ever be over. Will I ever see those kids raised, will they ever ever leave home, will they grow up and be on their own and leave me alone and not need me to do EVERYTHING for them, and I not have to be responsible for their decisions or mistakes. Well, just so you know the answer to that was YES. They did grow up, they did leave home, and I am no longer responsible for their actions or decisions.
I was walking the other day and was listening to the Abba CD. It hit me like a bat on the head when I heard the song "Slipping through my fingers".
Here are the words:
Slipping Through My Fingers
Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I'm losing her forever
And without really entering her world
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl
Slipping through my fingers all the time I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see whats in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when shes gone there's that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I cant deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go(slipping through my fingers all the time)
Well, some of that we did but most we didn't
And why I just don't know
Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see whats in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers...Slipping through my fingers all the time.

Well, what can I say. This is such a reminder I want to say to all of you: Time does slip by, life runs past us so quickly we can't see that it is Speeding past us faster than we think. I think what I want to be is a COP for all of you and to remind you that life is slipping past each and every day, and to take advantage of all moments in life. Don't put off doing, saying and enjoying the "little" time and things life has to offer. We don't get to do our days over. We do get new days but never overs. Words expressed both good and bad can not be taken back, promises made and not fulfilled on time can not be done for the person the promise was made too, a touch or smile needs to be given when needed or thought off. Don't let time and your loved ones slip through your fingers.
All of us have so much, and Cindy has so little. She has been an example to me of enduring to the end, and has reminded me of all I have, and that I need to make sure that I appreciate and show each day those I care about that I do care, and that I don't let life and love slip through my fingers. SO, freeze the picture of each day and don't let the funny tricks of time take life away. Love ya all.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Aunt Janet your post had tears welling up in my eyes. THANK YOU for that great reminder to cherish today! You are so right. Life is fast paced and we get caught up in just staying on task.We often don't stop to laugh at the funny moments, or pause to see the precious kindness between two of our kids....ahh! Your post was a breath of fresh air. Thank you!! You're fantastic! :)

Proud mom of 7......... said...

Thank you for those words....and yes it does go by so fast...and I miss it, so I guess that's why I was willing to take on more.

I hope to see you soon,
~Lisa

Anonymous said...

P.S. I tagged you on my blog, you wonderful lady you!

Mom said...

So, when are you going to write a book so the world can know what those who know and love you know...that you are the smartest lady in the whole world! Thanks for sharing another great insight and life lesson! I really needed to read it.
Love you,
Syndea

zeebee said...

oH Janet an 8 month old pregnant woman should not read that post! Especially while she was trying to take calls for work, I was about to bawl when I read those lyrics! You are so right and have inspired me to take time to enjoy EVERY moment! oh and I LOVED Elder U. talk on Hope, much like the one he gave for women's conference. Many of us must need to hear that. I know I did. luvya