Sunday, August 17, 2008

This the Season




No, it isn't Christmas, it is getting to be fall and the season of Chokecherry picking. I have not been able to particpate in this activity for probably 6 years. My great neighbors Leann and Dillon brought me 7 bottles several years ago when I had my shoulder replaced, and I have been rashening them out and being very and I mean very careful on their use. However, this season I felt like giving it a shot and so Val Jay said he would look and low and behold, chokecherries. Rachel, McKenna and Breanna have been my assistants. Yesterday, Karly even gave it a shot. She thought it was absolutely no fun at all and then Rachel came with the four wheeler and things looked better. Rachel turned out to be the best scout in the world and as the girls put it, we hit the "mother load". So, now when you have pancakes or rolly pollys at my house, chokecherry syrup can be on the menu.


This picking time gave me time for reflection of past experiences. After mom died, Dad would call me about Aug 25, just before the kids went to school and say, "Well sis, it time to go chokecherry picken". Round up the kids and bring a blanket, let's go. I did take an opportunity on Thursday to head up to Kellers Cabin in Paradise by myself and look for "our' bushes. Funny how little things like this can warm your heart and make you feel loved and part of an era. We would put Jim and Raelyn on the blankets, in the shade, dad would take the river side of the tree and I would take the easy picken side. Maybe that is part of my love for the taste of the syrup is the warmth of a good memory.
The picture of dad with the straight face is more like a mug shot, it was taken at Joe's wedding and we cut him out of the photo and made this one. My dad I knew and loved was the dad with the horse. I have come to find out that mom and dad both loved riding and caring for horses. Guess that is where Amanda got her genes from and her love.

No comments: