Friday, July 18, 2008

Weeks end!

I am the luckiest person in the world to have been called to serve a mission and still be able to live in my home and the best of all, to teach something that I have a background in and can offer some advise or encouragement. Teaching the participants in the workshop at the Deseret Industries has been such a blessing. Don't get me wrong, it is hard and a challenge. This week was really hard and the spirit really had to work to be there. I had two active members, one was quite withdrawn and hiding from people, and the other was top notch. I had one gentleman from India who is 66 years old I think, a native American that was angry at the whole world and knew that everyone was out to get her and make life misserable, a wild and free woman who was rebellous all her life and due to bad choices had lost both legs when she was jumping onto a moving train to hitch a ride and is still rebelling against some structure, another lady who resists any help and knows how things work and what is best and how everything should be done and is smart but not so smart, and then another lady who I had worked with from my job who has made some really really stupid choices in her life but has now served her time for mistakes in California and is currenty completing drug court and all the issues that come from that choice. Now, asking for someone to offer prayer left myself, the youngest sister, and the problem lady who is working on drug charges but trying to learn about God. The others said no. I am tired tonight both mental, physically as well as spiritually drained. That being said, my heart is running over from having felt the power of our Father in Heaven in that class as the message was delivered and the attitudes softened. Janea the placement advisor, said that she was amazed at the change in some of the participants. Vivian, my native American, actually spoke, and participated the last two days, and even let me "hug" her when I gave her a completion certificate. JaNea said that she has been very out spoken when some touches her when they brush against her in the hall, or touch her arm to speak to her. AND she let me hug her and she returned the hug. Rattan attended all the classes and was awesome during his interview, and Kathy stayed after and expressed her story of poor choices and how she was trying to change her life. No, I don't teach the gospel or share the Joseph Smith story, but I only pray that the spirit of the Lords work will be there to touch the lives of the members so that they know he cares.
Well, that's all for tonight. More on the life of this lucky lady another evening.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

WOW MOM! Two blogs since last time I checked! I think that this whole Mission thing has brought out the Spiritual side of you. Love it. You are amazing, terrific, fabulous, and great! Miss you and love you!
Mand