Thursday, February 28, 2008

Time passing


I wonder how I ever thought that days were long and that time wouldn't pass. Now that I am "middle aged" I find that time is a precious moment and if we don't watch carefully, it slips through our fingers so quickly.
This last week I had the opportunity to take care of my precious 6 grand kids; Trevor, Riley, Spencer, Jacob, Karly and Kennedy. Now it wasn't planned that way, that is what luck does for you. Sad news arrived on Monday that Ken's Grandpa Thompson had passed away unexpectedly. I had promised Rob and Kelly that I would watch their children while they attended a seminar on leadership in St. Louis. Well, that is double the children, double the fun. I am so thrilled that the kids got to spend three days together so that they became friends more than cousins.
It was amazing how well they got along. It was hard for this old grandma to keep up, and to bend and lift, but with a full heart, you can do anything. We did have a couple of challenges however and had to work as a team. When the Arizona kids came, we made a deal for the 7 of us to work as a team while Ken and Marci were over to Brigham City helping with the arrangements. Little did I know that those words would be the linking of a real team effort. On Thursday, Karly, Spencer, Jacob and Trevor dressed in their snow clothes and off they went for sleigh rides up by the cemetery area. Kennedy and Riley and I were making doughnuts while the older kids played. I was rolling and cutting out the last of the batch when I heard Trevor and Karly calling that she needed my help. The door opened and Trevor was helping her into the house with a face full of dirt, blood and no skin on her face. Trevor was so frightened but helped her all the way down. Karly said she was going down the hill and hit the road with her face when she ran out of snow.
I gave her a wash rag to begin lifting out the dirt while I cleaned up the rest of the dough and put it away. The little girls had been playing on the cabinet and were worried about Karly so I was careful not to act panicked.
Karly was so brave. Very little crying, and Trevor just stood by her asking"will my sister die"?
We cleaned up Karly as best I could, but knew she needed to have some deep cleaning of the area in and around her nose. I called Raelyn as she was having lunch in Logan with some friends. She came over to clean the wound. Karly was wonderful to keep the ice bag on her face to take the swelling down. Jacob and Spencer had gathered up the equipment and returned the two sleighs to the neighbors and came running in to make sure all was well. They cared for the little girls while Trevor and I worked on Karly. It was a total team effort
About 4 Karly asked if she could go to the Drs as it really hurt. I took her to Dr Stevens in Providence and LeAnn next door watched the 3 older kids and I took the two younger with me. Again, the kids were awesome and the Dr was fantastic. He sent us for Xrays in the morning and gave her a perscription for infection and re cleaned the cuts. The swelling had gone down quite a bit so he was able to do more cleaning than Raelyn and I.
I was so glad that she was protected and blessed and after the Xrays there was nothing broken. It is one week later, and you wonder if she was hurt. We talked about how her father was in the sleigh riding accident when he was nine, and how badly he hurt his face and how she was just like her dad in being brave and blessed.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

WOw! Great post mom! I am so proud of Karly! What a tough kid! I am so glad that you are blogging! You are such a babe! The Plate you bought us LOOKS AMAZING!! It matches PERFECTLY! Cant wait for you to see it!
mand