Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Party and Testimony

I am never sure who reads this blog, but I want to share my thanks and testimony with whoever might read this. I am so thankful for the great friends that I share this life with and awesome family as well as the experiences I have with my children. I have had a wonderful Christmas so far with a caroling group made up of some of my grandchildren and their other grandma and grandpa, a gift from the ward of a lovely basket, cards from all over the country written by friends and family that I love; and to each of you my "thanks for making a wonderful Christmas Holiday." I wrote this note to by children, but the testimony part is for all. Following is my note:
Christmas & my Testimony
First, let me say thank you Jim and Ireland for hosting our Christmas party/get together. For all the weather problems and challenges each family faced to get there, the spirit of family was alive and for those who did not make it, you were missed tremendously. NOW I JUST HAD A BRAIN WAVE: There is always a hole in the circle of our family when a member is missing or unable to attend, kind of like the "Spudnut" circle. Interesting that we could use that as an illustration.............OK, back to the party:The pizza and salads were great and our last bottle of cider was still a little frozen, but what a way to say goodbye to an old year.The gift exchange was very nice as each child received something just for them. Thanks parents for doing such a great job. Jacob, I will mail your gift first thing in the morning from Christian.
MY Gift. What can a mother say when she now is wrapped, warmed and protected by 2 coats. I can now be the sporty, on the hill styling grandma and the classy old missionary style woman at the girly activities with my friends and the ward. I love you all very much and each time I put them on, I will remember that each of you have your arms around me hugging me tight. Thank you so very much.
My Gift to you: As I sat out your gifts it didn't appear to be much of an offering; however, I realized that those jars of jams and syrup are witnesses of miracles and blessings. They are a gift made with arms that work, body that moves, eyes that can see, and a heart full of love and a desire to serve you and my Heavenly Father. It is a testimony to each of you and myself of how blessed I have been and the miracles that have been performed in my life. I can never take for granted the ability to walk, lift an arm, read a book, or hug my grandchildren. SO, please remember how blessed we are as a family with each bite.
MY Testimony. I had hoped when we all were at temple square that I could take a minute to bear my testimony as I will be released the first of February and we won't be together before that time. With some missing, I didn't do it but I would like to take a minute to do it now.I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true. That he has put together a marvelous plan for each of us to succeed. I have been blessed to teach a group of individuals that each month demonstrate to me how blessed we and I have been in this life. We all face challenges of heath, wealth or lack of it, work schedules, hard individuals to work with, abilities to learn, or even motivation to do more or better. But, when I see the challenges of life that some of my students have faced to just be there in class each day, I say a large prayer in my heart to Heavenly Father that none of us face those challenges. We are a blessed family who has survived trails or challenges, but with each one, a larger blessing has replaced the pain or obstacle. Our Father in Heaven knows each one of us. He knows our hearts. He knows what our wishes and secret fears are and yet, he daily provides us with comfort and Peace. If we do what is right kids, and make good choices, we need not fear. I am learning that more and more each day. That if I do what I am asked to do, his spirit will be there day and night. Life is going to be hard in the future. The things we have thought that we were owed or needed, are not going to be available. We may be eating different, wearing clothing with patches, or even walking to and from somewhere (I will hate that part personally), but because of the lives each of you have chosen to live, you will NOT FEAR. As a mom, it is beautiful to see you each live the gospel and to teach your children to love their Father in Heaven and to let each of my grandchildren know that he loves them too. Joseph Smith sacrificed so much of his and his family's lives to bring us the gospel. He is truly a prophet of our Father in Heaven. The gospel is true, its guidelines are simple if we just choose to live by them. We will have no fear and never have to look over our shoulder or doubt our choices. I love each one of you and so appreciate all (and I mean all) you do for me. I know I sometimes whine and show fear, but you are the people I have to share them with, and I can't always be strong but together as a family we are. You are the circles of my life. You balance me, care for me, and serve me and I am so grateful. I love each of you and want each of you to know that my love is true, it is tested and strong for each of you and for my Savior. I bear this testimony to you and close in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

To anyone out there, I wish you all a Very Merry Christ mas, and a wonderful New Year.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Love you Mom. Thanks for putting up with me this weekend. I am glad we went shopping together, we had some good laughs! ;)
Mand

Proud mom of 7......... said...

I read your blog...sounds like you guys had an a really nice time. we are having a nice time as well. all but one of my kids came out and then we're heading to Ca tomorrow for our Alder fam gathering...can't wait!
xoxox~Lisa

zeebee said...

Janet, your family is an inspiration. I wish I lived closer so that I could come visit you more often and learn from all of your wisdom. Don't laugh, it's true. You have my address right, btw, because I got your Christmas card. I enjoyed reading about your travels this year! I haven't done a card for a couple of years, maybe next year. Love you!