Sunday, October 12, 2008

Count Your Many Blessings


I went to church this morning at the Glendora 1st ward here in California. Scott called the old neighbor and friend to find out what time the church was. I just happened to be showered and so I jumped at the chance of going with Jolin. I did not find her until after church had started but met her after. Great meeting. Fantastic talks. I loved the opening song. Count your many blessings. Interesting enough, Scott and Teresa and I had been talking the night before about how blessed my life is. Here is my question for today: How many people do you know that are Aunt's who are invited to stay for a week almost with a niece and nephew, and then go to dinner at a beautiful Italian restaurant in Santa Monica by the pier. NOW I HAVE TO CONFESS RIGHT HERE THAT "I" yes me chickened out of going on the ferris wheel. That was the whole purpose of going down there was so I could ride the ferris wheel with Joel whose party we were celebrating. It was the Santa Ana winds were blowing and I have always hated the chairs swinging while they go around. Too much motion for me. However, now that I have confessed, I will continue the story.


I was privileged to meet with my nieces, nephews and their children for a wonderful evening. Joel was in an accident (and some day I will relate the strong person he is and his teaching me about taking responsibility for ones decisions) a couple of years ago. It resulted in the loose of his leg, and a severely cut and broken arm requiring a metal plate. He was found guilty of driving under the influence of alcohol and was sentenced to jail time as well as community service. He offers his services to teach youth and others about the wrong decision to drink and drive and takes total responsibility for his consequences. We were celebrating his completion of his time served. What started as just a little dinner turned into a celebration of blessings.

I am so honored that I can be a part of a family (Alder side by the way) that allows me to be loved and to love. I was joined by a niece Syndea and her husband Randy and their daughter Mique and her husband Josh, Scott and Teressa and their son Jason and his wife and Cindy Alder, Joel and myself. Back to the question, how many people do you know that have extended "X" family by legal laws, who love them and include them in their lives. Well here is the answer, ME. I am the lucky, honored and loved person. All these children whose lives have touched mine for 40+ years have given me a glimpse into the eternities. It is people we love, the people who we share time with and who support us that will be there for all eternity. It will be a privilege for me to greet each of these beautiful people any time on this earth that I can or on the other side of this life. I am by far the most lucky, blessed lady in the world and that means for all eternity. Yes, I have counted my blessings this day, and they are many.

No comments: